Last Updated on April 16, 2023 by Spynaija
Just like every other technologically and scientifically advanced state in the US, getting into a medical school in California is super competitive such that even with having a high GPA, gaining admission to one is not guaranteed. In this article, we have made a list of the easiest medical schools to get into in California in 2023 the average GPA, acceptance rate, tuition(in-state and out-of-state), and MCAT requirements.
One of the primary goals of the medical profession is treating and restoring good health with a focus on diagnosing, identifying, and treating illnesses through a scientific and technological approach.
Is it hard to get into medical school in California?
Gaining admission into a medical school in California is incredibly competitive, which might be attributed to admission requirements, schools’ competitive stats in California, the state’s population, and the huge number of applications each program receives.
But then, there are some institutions with not too rigid admission requirements that are somewhat easy to get into as compared to others. So stay glued as we walk you through some of the easiest medical schools to get into in California.
What Are The Requirements for a Medical School?
There are no uniform or specific admission requirements into medical schools across the globe as the entry requirements vary from school to school. However, there are some requirements that are general prerequisites for entry into most medical schools.
For instance, in the US, most medical schools require prospective students to provide copies of the following:
- High school diploma
- Undergraduate degree in the field of Sciences (3-4 years)
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
- Good TOEFL language scores (For international students)
- Letters of recommendation.
- Extracurricular activities.
- Minimum MCAT exam result (set by each university individually)
Easiest Medical Schools To Get Into in California 2023
So while seeking the easiest medical schools to get into in California, it is important that you take some factors into consideration, this may include the academic reputation of the institution, the accreditation, its acceptance rate, the healthcare and the lecture facilities, and the institution’s accessibility.
Furthermore, most medical schools require a very high GPA and also high scores on MCAT and other necessary examinations.
However, we are going to show you the 9 easiest medical schools to get into in California. You can apply to start your journey in the medical field as far as you meet the listed admission criteria.
1. UC Riverside School of Medicine
The University of California, Riverside (UCR), School of Medicine is one of six University of California medical schools in the state of California, associated with UC Riverside. It was established in 2008.
The UC Riverside School of Medicine is made up of the Division of Biomedical Sciences and the Division of Clinical Sciences. In addition to undergraduate medical education,
The UC Riverside School of Medicine has an average GPA of 3.64 and an average MCAT of 511.
Tuition: $58,000 (all).
2. UC San Diego School of Medicine
The University of California San Diego School of Medicine is the graduate medical school of the University of California, San Diego. It was established in 1968. It is the only medical school in the San Diego metropolitan area. The school is closely affiliated with the medical centers that are part of UC San Diego Health.
The most popular residency and specialty programs are internal medicine, anesthesiology, dermatology, obstetrics & gynecology, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology, pediatrics, psychiatry, radiology (diagnostic), and surgery.
The University of California San Diego School of Medicine has an average undergraduate GPA of 3.73 an average MCAT composite score of 34.2 out of 45 and a 3.4% acceptance rate.
Tuition: $35,000 (in-state); $48,000 (out-of-state)
3. The University of California, Irvine School of Medicine
The University of California, Irvine School of Medicine is an LCME-accredited medical school, co-located in Orange County’s cities of Irvine on the University of California, Irvine campus and Orange at the UC Irvine Medical Center.
- The average GPA is 3.78
- Acceptance Rate- 8.6%
- The Average MCAT is 514.5.
- Tuition: $33,000 (in-state); $45,503(out-of-state)
4. The Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
In addition to a medical degree (MD), the school offers various combined degrees, such as MD/MPH, MD/Ph.D., and MD/MBA. The school offers separate masters and doctoral degree programs in various biomedical fields. It also offers programs in physician assistantship and nurse anesthesia.
- The average GPA is 3.8
- Acceptance Rate- 7.3%
- The average MCAT score is 517.
- Tuition: $63,000 (in-state and out-of-state)
5. California University of Science and Medicine (CUSM)
The California University of Science and Medicine (CUSM) School of Medicine is a private medical school located in Colton, California/San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, United States. It was founded in 2015. CUSM received preliminary LCME accreditation in February 2018 and enrolled students for classes conferring an M.D. degree beginning July 2018.
- The average MCAT is 514 and
- The average GPA is 3.6.
- Acceptance rate 9.3%
- Tuition:$58,000 (in-state and out-of-state ).
6. Touro University California
Touro University California is a private graduate school focused primarily on health professions and located on Mare Island in Vallejo, California.
The university confers degrees in graduate studies of various disciplines including education, osteopathic medicine, pharmacy, physician assistant studies, nursing, and public health.
Faculty members of Touro University California’s Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine and Pharmacy specialize in a wide range of basic and applied research in fields including aging, anatomy and clinical imaging, cognitive aging, diabetes, immunology, infectious diseases, ion channels, longevity, neuroscience, metabolism/nutrition, and vaccine research.
The school currently has a student body of about 1,873 students and 105 full-time, and 41 part-time academic staff.
So, if you are looking for the easiest medical schools to get into in California in 2023. TUC should be on your list of institutions to consider.
- The school admits students with an average GPA of 3.51.
- Touro University California Acceptance Rate- 8.9%
- Tuition: $56,000 (in-state and out-of-state)
7. UCSF School of Medicine
The University of San Francisco School of Medicine is the public research medical school of the University of California, San Francisco, it is located at the base of Mount Sutro on the Parnassus Height campus in San Francisco, California.
UCSF School of Medicine was founded in 1864 by Hugh Toland and it is the oldest medical school in California and Western United States.
The University is dedicated entirely to health science and its major centers are on medical and biological research and teaching. The school currently has a student body of about 1,428 students with 152 doctoral students.
- The average GPA is 3.85
- UCSF School of Medicine Acceptance Rate- 14%
- The average MCAT is 517.
- Tuition: $35,000 (in-state); $47,000 (out-of-state).
8. UC Davis School of Medicine
- UC Davis School of Medicine’s average GPA is 3.0
- The average MCAT is 509.
- Tuition: $38,000 (in-state) / $49,000 (out-of-state).
- UC Davis School of Medicine has an acceptance rate of 1.8%
9. California Northstate University College of Medicine
California Northstate University College of Medicine is a private for-profit medical school located in Elk Grove, California, and is one of the four colleges of California Northstate University, granting the degree of Doctors in Medicine.
The college was established in 2015 with a total of about 380 students. The College of Medicine was approved in August 2018 and gained preliminary accreditation in June 2015 and provisional accreditation in June 2019 by the Liason Committee on Medical Education.
- The school admits students with an average GPA of 3.58.
- California Northstate University College of Medicine’s Acceptance Rate is 6.9%
- Tuition: $58,000 – $60,000 (in-state and out-of-state).
Getting admitted to any medical school in California is super competitive, yes, these varsities painstakingly select their prospective students based on merits and intellectual capacity this is often so due to the intellectual demands of the profession.
Nonetheless, we have listed some of the easiest medical schools to get into in California in 2023, with a relatively moderate entry requirement for prospective applicants.
- Is Being a Doctor worth it?
- Medical Schools in California with High Acceptance Rates
- Medical Schools in California | Acceptance rates, GPAs & MCAT scores
- Easiest Medical Schools to get into
- Medical Schools Acceptance Rates
- Cheapest Medical Schools for out-of-state-students
- List Of Osteopathic Medical Schools by GPA, Acceptance rates & MCAT
- Easiest Vet Schools to Get into in 2023
- Best WUE Schools in 2023
- 20 Free Accredited High School Diploma Online at no cost
- 64 Colleges that don’t require supplemental essays
- How to Get Netflix Student Discounts
Has this article provided an answer(s) to your query? if yes, leave a comment in the comment box to express your satisfaction or ask any question you have and we will reply to you as soon as possible.